Unemployment

So, tomorrow will be two weeks since I was fired. After almost 8 years of working and giving myself to this job, I was let go. The reason why I was let go seems silly, at best. However, I think that it might just be a blessing in disguise. At least, that is how it feels so far.

During my two weeks of unemployment, I have not accomplished much. Here is a list of the things I have done thus far:

1. I have done some laundry and have attempted to clean up my house a bit. It is a veritable mess, after all.

2. I have spent a lot of time with my niece, the adorable and amazing Ms. S. She is a bundle of joy, energy and laughter. I love spending time with her and often felt that I was missing out on her and her accomplishments of life while I was at work. That I am alloted some time to spend with her at this point is one of the first signs that getting fired was a blessing.

3. I have done some laundry. I have about three years worth of laundry and I do not think I have even made a dent in it yet, but I am taking it one step at a time.

4. I have attempted to organize my desk/workspace. I have moved some things around and about, but have not figured out what I want to do with the space yet, so it remains a work in progress.

5. I have had this idea of making, baking and selling quesadillas from my mother's killer recipe. I have made some headway into that endeavor. I have a silent partner who is helping with funding and we (my parents and I) have made our first batch to see how it goes. So far, I am not worried nor stressed out over this idea. It feels right and I feel good about it. I am wondering if the quesadillas will sell and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I think our first batch came out well, except that perhaps I went a bit overboard with the cinnamon and my brother says it is a bit fluffy. I am hoping that we can sell our current batch. And then when it comes time to making the next batch we will make it better.

6. I have started doing Yoga Nidra. This is more meditation than anything else. It is supposed to be good for the soul. For now, all I can say is that it has helped me relax.

7. I have started The Work and I am reading Loving What Is, by Byron Katie. The simplicity of this concept is mind blowing because of its simplicity. I have also Following Your Own North Star, by Martha Beck which I will read next.

8. I have started blogging, hence this entrance. I was told by Sherold Barr, a fantastic woman I met on Facebook and who has a wonderful website called Women Heal the World (http://womenhealtheworld.ning.com), to start journaling. She is a very wise woman and I like to listen to wise people when they suggest things to me. Writing is also therapeutic, so I am writing to see what develops from it.

9. I have caught up with all the tv shows that I had recorded and not been able to watch.

So, those are the things I have semi-accomplished thus far in almost two weeks of unemployment. I am liking my time off so far and I think I need it. I find myself still a bit exhausted from my old job and I am taking this time to just catch up with sleep and myself. It will be interesting to see where all this leads. I am excited for the future.

Comments

Unknown said…
Joanna - great work! Keep it up. Remember to question any thought that causes you stress. Do The Work to set yourself free!

Popular Posts