Frustration

When I was a teenager, I was the technological savvy one. The one who hooked up the vcr and made things work around the house. My parents were clueless about these things and deferred to me in this department. To this day, I will be out shopping with my mother and she will hand me a strange looking gizmo and turn her big brown eyes to me in hopes I can figure out what it is and explain it to her.

There must be something about almost being 40 that affects the technological part of your brain and just makes it sizzle out, because I can't seem to figure out the whole uploading-pictures-to-my-blog-thing! I am sure it is simple and that once I figure out what I am doing wrong, I will feel like a dork for not having figured it out earlier. And this is not the first time I cannot figure out something simple in the technology department either. It took me forever to figure out how to upload pictures to myspace and facebook. I also have trouble figuring out my mac book sometimes. And this is shameful because macs are so freaking intuitive and easy to figure out! Oh, and don't let me get started on the whole Texting Fiasco of 2008. That one will go down in history.

This is where I rethink my whole decision about not having children. I can see how having one of those teenage beings around would come in handy at this point in my life. I think this the sole reason why most people have kids is so that when they get to be my age and their brain starts it's downslide towards dementia, their kids can come in and save them from impending doom.  

Case in point, my 19 year old cousin will come over and laugh at my frustration over something technological. He will then proceed to very calmly, albeit with a smirk on his face, explain the whole thing to me in three easy steps or less. He makes it seem so easy and painless.  

It hurts. It hurst because I used to be the one who would, very easily, calmly and with the smirk on my face, explain things to the adults around me. Now, I find that I am one of those adults on the receiving end of a smarmy teenager. Grrrr!

Then, I am left to ponder: When did it happen? When did I become an adult? I don't feel like an adult. I still feel like I did when I was seventeen. Is that wrong?

And then today, it smacks me on the face: I AM TURNING 40 IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!! The horror! I shudder to think what will happen next.

So, I took a couple of deep breaths, found my center and decided that it is OK. I can deal with turning 40. I can deal with my brain fizzing out and not knowing how to upload pictures to my blog. And yes, I can even deal with the smirk on my teenage cousin's face when I ask him to help me figure it out. The reason why I can be calm, cool and collected about all this is very simple: I will eventually figure it out because I always do.  

And once I figure it out, I will upload pictures. I promise.

Comments

RV3 said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
RV3 said…
Say it isn't so, Joanna!!! You and Ariel were always the ones I looked towards to with tech-related FAQs... Even I know how to upload photos on my blog... C'mon!!! What happened?
Marlinch said…
You remebered your password!! uploading pictures is easy. You can either do it through flickr or when you are writing a post, right above there is a little strip with a b for bold i for italic, well the second to last little square is for uploading pictures, the last one is for uploading pictures. Try this fisrt before you try Flickr, flickr requires copying codes and stuff anyhow, how come I can't follow you? Somehow I managed to follow myself trying to follow you...go figure!
Marlinch said…
Ummm yeah I meeant VIDEO for the last square, and I should spell check but whatever...HAAAA! the word for my word verification thingy is "putio" just thought you should know, made me chuckle, hehehe

Popular Posts